Our childbirth classes are run by trained Childbirth Educators.
The courses are generally eight weekly sessions, but we occasionally offer weekend courses to meet demand.
Some of the topics include:
A birth overview, Physical, Emotional and lifestyle Changes, Labour Coping skills, Medical Intervention, A Hospital Tour, Breastfeeding and Practical Parenting. Participants have the opportunity to become part of a 'Coffee Group', which provide ongoing social meetings and parenting support.
Early bookings are essential as class numbers are limited.
Phone 027 977 9951 for more information or to enrol
Antenatal Course Topics
Weeks 1 - 8
- Changes in the woman's body in pregnancy, self help solutions to discomforts
- Pelvic floor and stretching exercises
- Optimal Foetal Positioning (positioning of baby before birth)
- Labour and birth (including pictures and discussion of female body)
- Strategies for coping in labour and what support people can do
- Medical options of pain management, assisted birth, monitoring
- Sources of information, informed consent and local support resources
- Maternity Unit visit, Whakatane Hospital
- Bathing your baby
- Nappy options
- CPR for infants - guest speaker
- Car seats - guest speaker
- Preparing for and coping with changes after birth
- Safe sleeping practices
- Newborn needle options
Plus others as time permits or as raised by members of classes