Moving and Munching
Moving & Munching is a two-module programme for parents of children aged from around 4 to 12 months.
"Your baby’s emerging exploration of the environment and discovery of first foods"
It’s an exciting time. Your baby is moving on; discovering first foods and becoming more active, and already (or soon to be) making those first attempts at crawling.
As a new parent it can be difficult to know how to go about introducing solid foods and what issues you need to be aware of now that your baby is (or is getting closer to) being on the move!
The ‘Munching’ focus of this programme explores the following:
- When and how to start to introduce solids into your baby’s diet
- How to continue to include milk in your baby’s diet
· Exploring the need for changes in textures, tastes and the quantity of solids over time
· Ways to encourage your baby to develop healthy attitudes to food
The ‘Moving’ focus of this programme explores the following:
· Identifying areas of your home environment that might need safety-proofing now that your baby’s mobility and manipulative skills are developing
· Encouraging the development of your baby’s fine and gross motor skills by identifying age- appropriate play and toys
· Identifying areas of language, intellectual and social development that helps to stimulate your baby’s learning
Development milestones vary widely from child to child. This programme includes information on physical, cognitive (or intellectual), language and social (emotional) development. It stresses that no baby can be compared to another when it comes to development – they are all unique and all reach developmental milestones at different times.
Throughout the programme you will hear from a variety of expert guest speakers, all of whom are familiar and experienced with the changes your baby is going through in this 4-12 month age group. Speakers may include a dietitian or nutritionist, a paediatric or Plunket nurse, a paediatrician or an infant feeding advisor.
Parents often ask what the signs are for development stages, both in terms of movement and in terms of diet. This programme gives you the opportunity to openly discuss concerns and to learn about balancing baby’s dietary intake as well as understanding and exploring a variety of activities that you as a parent can introduce and enjoy with your little one.
Developmentally the ‘Moving and Munching’ 4-12 month old stage is a fascinating one, and parents who are armed with the right information will enjoy it all the more.
Visit a Centre near you to find out about booking into this course through your local Centre or for further information on the wide range of parenting courses offered through Parents Centres in your area.